Skip to main content

Of Effective and Ineffective Editing

You may think 'Editing' is a simple process; taking the film footage and cutting and pasting it back together in a particular style/order (simplified!)and that there is only one possible outcome. From recent experience, I have learnt that there isn't. 


People see the world in different ways, which is due to the way they think and the way they imagine. People have their own interpretations of what is effective and what is ineffective - and in editing it becomes obvious. In fact the editing process is an integral part of post production especially in recent years due to the audiences more informed minds - in short, they can spot a badly filmed, shoddily edited movie a mile off!

When it comes to creating film there is no real right or wrong answer - it all depends on how you think and what your instincts tell you. Originality comes from people who think outside of the box (meaning they think up ideas that no one else has or appears to have thought before). Editing lets you explore your mind, your imagination, and enables you to create a unique and personal approach to film.
This is my interpretation of the footage we were given in class which we were asked to simply 'edit':

Windsurfer Edit 


It is surprising how many different ways there are to edit the same footage - as I found out this week. It is also strange to see how others see the world and when you watch their videos it is like seeing a piece of their mind.

Here are some of my friends' edited work using the same footage:

https://vimeo.com/77026376 

* https://vimeo.com/77027715

* https://vimeo.com/77026814

https://vimeo.com/77330489

 

As you can see they are all quite different!

To be completely honest with you, I'm still learning when it comes to editing but I know what feels right to me and from what I understand so far, you need to be in touch with your 'gut feelings'. When I edit I watch the footage and have a slight idea in my mind of what the finished result should look like - although more often than not it turns out to be anything but! 

When it came to editing the windsurfer footage I wanted to approach it from a perspective that was unlikely to incur a duplicate. So I decided to reverse all of the footage, starting with some medium cuts and building it up to the action. If you start slow it gives you a chance to build the pace and it also enables the viewer to anticipate the outcome. I also slowed the beginning clips down, so that the windsurfer was almost being sucked back into the water only to spring back up again into the air doing a back flip and land in the water again. 

The part where the windsurfer back flips is made up of 6 different clips even though the movement lasts only 3 seconds. These clips were at regular speed, and the combination of quick cuts and action give the impression that it is one fluid movement. When I edit I don't want the viewer to be distracted by the change in angle or direction of the clip, but rather be unaware of the illusion. This is what I tried to achieve in this edit. 


The clip lasts a total of 16 seconds, as opposed to the original footage which lasts just short of a minute. I edited this down to a sequence which I felt would hold the audiences attention.

It took me a while to find the right music to go with the video (disclaimer: I do not own the music), and it helped to edit the clips to the beat. To me music is the heartbeat of a movie, without it it would be soulless. Music enhances the scene, sets the mood and enables us to embark on the journey. In this particular instance, I edited the music to fit the film, and then fine tuned the sequence.

I was pleased with the ending as I do have an issue with how things finish. I'm not a big fan of fade outs, and it seemed relevant for this film to cut to black which coincided with the resonanating echo of the music.

I think from what I have learnt so far, it is better to do things your way - do what feels right and of course what looks right. It is important to listen to the opinions of those around you and draw from their ideas, as long as you aren't detracted from your initial vision.

This short film is nearly all reversed, and when it comes to following the narrative it becomes exetremely relevant. It really inspired me, and gave me new ideas on how to approach film making: Tick Tock - short film by Ien Chi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer's Block - Part 1

How it all started... Last year my sister wrote a 1000 word short story for the BBC Young Writer's competition. Meanwhile in university the current assignment was to create a short narrative film. At the time I was thinking of creating a half stop-motion animated short, and when I read my sister's story I found great potential. We then collaborated and created a script based on her original piece. In the interview below she talks about her inspirations and how she came up with the idea: Q1: How did you come up with the idea for Writer's Block? A1: Coming up with Writer’s Block was a funny process really. I was trying to come up with a story for a writing contest and nothing I came up with was good enough. I said to my mom I had writer’s block and being the sarcastic lady that she is she said to me "I've never been there, what's it like?" And I thought: ‘What if the Writer’s Block was a place!’ Q2: Were there any other novels, artworks

Cardiff Comic Con - Nicholas Briggs

Nicholas Briggs, known particularly for his role as 'The Voice of the Daleks', shared a few experiences with the audience at Comic Con in Cardiff earlier in 2014. Nicholas Briggs - On Re-watching Episodes of Doctor Who and Jon Pertwee: “I watch them all regularly on DVD. I’m just having a bit of a renaissance with Jon Pertwee, actually, at the moment, and he’s a much underrated Doctor. I was particularly down on him as a kid, because, when he left Doctor Who, the headlines read: Jon Pertwee – ‘I-can’t-stand-the-Daleks’- quits Doctor Who. And I thought, because he’s – and I love the Daleks – so I thought, ‘The man’s an idiot! He’s rubbish! He’s a terrible Doctor Who!’ But of course I think it’s the best performance of Jon Pertwee’s career actually; it’s a beautiful piece of subtle, naturalistic acting. I think he did a tremendous job, and I’m watching some of these old episodes again and there’s a beautiful, reassuring quality about him." Nichol

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES: REVIEW

It's been nearly 50 years since the Planet of the Apes franchise first started, and although making sequels and prequels appears to be the norm nowadays, the prequel trilogy starring Andy Serkis in the role of Caesar may prove to be one of the most popular and successful reboots to date. Despite finally coming to the end of a brilliant new trilogy that tells the story of how the Planet of the Apes came to be, the third installment did in no way disappoint. War for the Planet of the Apes delivers an emotionally driven story that is accompanied by stunning cinematography, incredibly technical visual effects and a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack composed by the amazing Michael Giacchino. Directed and co-written by Matt Reeves, the film delivers what everyone has been waiting for: the final battle between Apes and Humans. Having survived a disease that wiped out the majority of humankind in Rise of the Planet of the Apes , the remaining survivors are faced with a choice: to sp