Skip to main content

La Naissance d-effets speciaux


"The trick, intelligently applied, today allows us to make visible the supernatural, the imaginary, even the impossible." - GM

These are the famous words of the French Film-maker Georges Melies, who is commonly referred to as 'A Magician in the Editing Evolution of Film' and the first Cinemagician. Melies is considered to be the father of special effects, including: the simple fade in/fade out, dissolve, stop edit, double exposure and stop motion animation. He never once moved his camera in any of his 500+ films, and was the first to incorporate photography and narratives - in short he was a true auteur.

The pictures below give examples of a Double Exposure - which I unknowingly used in a Photography Project for College. The far left is a still from Melies' 1901 film 'The Man with the Rubber Head'. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmFxPpwlcQ

The far right is a photo edit I made using Paint and Microsoft Word based on 'The Borrowers'.
 

 

 

 

"I must say, to my great regret, the cheapest tricks have the greatest impact." - GM

One of my favourite techniques that Georges Melies uses is the Stop-Edit (otherwise known as a Jump-cut), which enables an object to appear, disappear and jump through space as if by magic. You may think this is a cheap trick, but this technique is used in modern day films to both entertain and terrify. In fear of it turning into a cliche, and an editing mish-mash, Guy Ritchie's 'Snatch' has a noticeable amount of jump-cuts, but somehow - though it may seem disjointed - the subtlety of the effect tricks the mind into believing that the image flows perfectly. See: Snatch opening titles A similar but more refined technique is used by Ritchie in his Sherlock films - more specifically during the fight scenes. See: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows



Below is my amateur attempt at creating a stop-edit film in the style of Georges Melies using a Canon IXUS 115 HS, Windows Movie Maker and Microsoft Word (how primitive). The final touches were added using Adobe Premier Elements 11.


 For more information regarding Georges Melies, please see the following link which covers his life story, his films and how to recreate some of his techniques: Georges Melies: The Father of Special Effects

You can also see the above film on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/77423245

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer's Block - Part 1

How it all started... Last year my sister wrote a 1000 word short story for the BBC Young Writer's competition. Meanwhile in university the current assignment was to create a short narrative film. At the time I was thinking of creating a half stop-motion animated short, and when I read my sister's story I found great potential. We then collaborated and created a script based on her original piece. In the interview below she talks about her inspirations and how she came up with the idea: Q1: How did you come up with the idea for Writer's Block? A1: Coming up with Writer’s Block was a funny process really. I was trying to come up with a story for a writing contest and nothing I came up with was good enough. I said to my mom I had writer’s block and being the sarcastic lady that she is she said to me "I've never been there, what's it like?" And I thought: ‘What if the Writer’s Block was a place!’ Q2: Were there any other novels, artworks

Cardiff Comic Con - Nicholas Briggs

Nicholas Briggs, known particularly for his role as 'The Voice of the Daleks', shared a few experiences with the audience at Comic Con in Cardiff earlier in 2014. Nicholas Briggs - On Re-watching Episodes of Doctor Who and Jon Pertwee: “I watch them all regularly on DVD. I’m just having a bit of a renaissance with Jon Pertwee, actually, at the moment, and he’s a much underrated Doctor. I was particularly down on him as a kid, because, when he left Doctor Who, the headlines read: Jon Pertwee – ‘I-can’t-stand-the-Daleks’- quits Doctor Who. And I thought, because he’s – and I love the Daleks – so I thought, ‘The man’s an idiot! He’s rubbish! He’s a terrible Doctor Who!’ But of course I think it’s the best performance of Jon Pertwee’s career actually; it’s a beautiful piece of subtle, naturalistic acting. I think he did a tremendous job, and I’m watching some of these old episodes again and there’s a beautiful, reassuring quality about him." Nichol

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES: REVIEW

It's been nearly 50 years since the Planet of the Apes franchise first started, and although making sequels and prequels appears to be the norm nowadays, the prequel trilogy starring Andy Serkis in the role of Caesar may prove to be one of the most popular and successful reboots to date. Despite finally coming to the end of a brilliant new trilogy that tells the story of how the Planet of the Apes came to be, the third installment did in no way disappoint. War for the Planet of the Apes delivers an emotionally driven story that is accompanied by stunning cinematography, incredibly technical visual effects and a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack composed by the amazing Michael Giacchino. Directed and co-written by Matt Reeves, the film delivers what everyone has been waiting for: the final battle between Apes and Humans. Having survived a disease that wiped out the majority of humankind in Rise of the Planet of the Apes , the remaining survivors are faced with a choice: to sp