Skip to main content

Shirley Holmes and Joan Watson - Title Spoof

I make a lot of spoofs. Fact.

I love being able to take an idea, and then develop it and make it into something different; something unique. It is often true that there are no new ideas, that someone will have probably thought of it before you have, which is why it is important to be original - the idea may not be, but your approach to it can.

Sherlock is perhaps one of my most favourite TV series, and I love the opening titles. The editing and juxtaposition of the images is simply mind-blowing, the film accompanied by stop-motion animation and text.

You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HsxGygknNE

I wanted to try and create my own version of the opening titles, with the idea that Sherlock becomes Shirley, and John becomes Joan (Shirley's cousin), even though the style is completely different. I didn't overlay images or use stop-motion in the film. In comparison, mine is relatively simple. I spent around 5 minutes figuring out what to film, and then went out and did it - a spur of the moment action. 

I used my little Canon Ixus to film with, but set it to the miniature effect - which means it films everything at 10 times the speed. I set it to minature because I like the vivid colours and the blurs around the edges. When it came to editing it was quite difficult as everything had to be slowed down by at least 25% which made the images a bit jumpy - although to be honest I think its quite effective. Some of the shots were filmed more than once - with wide angles and close ups. The feet shots were filmed with the camera upside down on the tripod so I could run with it - a little odd you might think, but it worked. Here are some still shots:

 

I edited the footage on Windows Movie Maker - the 2.6 version - which took around 45 minutes. The images are mostly cut on the beat of the music (which - DISCLAIMER - I do not own), the images flickering occassionally. The footage I took lasts approximatly three minutes altogether, which is more than enough to cover the 32 seconds of music. 

Fact: It is always important to take more footage than you need. More is always preferable to less.

The film was shot in just one location, so in that sense it is not as varied as it could have been. There could have been several locations, therefore allowing me to do more such as experimenting with juxtaposition and the like. All in all I am quite happy with how the film turned out. I could easily imagine it as the beginning to an episode, which - perhaps somewhere in the near future - I might just attempt to make.

Here is the finished video: https://vimeo.com/81215770

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DRAMA REVIEW: STRANGER THINGS (S1)

If you haven't heard of ' Stranger Things' by now you must have been in the Upside Down with no wifi signal to tune into Netflix. One year ago the world was plunged into an epic 80's sci-fi thriller world where Dungeons and Dragons, VHS cassettes and BMX bikes were all the rage, and now, with the eruption of Season 2 hitting our tv and mobile screens, it seems fitting to look back on where this journey began... Since the late 1890's the imaginations of people all around the globe have been fascinated by the possibility of life on other planets and visitors from outer space. Thanks to the great early science-fiction authors such as H.G. Wells and John Wyndham, the books ' War of the Worlds ' and ' The Crysalids ' taught us that the scientifically impossible could be found perhaps not only amongst the stars, but amongst ourselves. From then on humanity looked upwards, wondering, researching, hypothesising about things that should be left untouched.

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES: REVIEW

It's been nearly 50 years since the Planet of the Apes franchise first started, and although making sequels and prequels appears to be the norm nowadays, the prequel trilogy starring Andy Serkis in the role of Caesar may prove to be one of the most popular and successful reboots to date. Despite finally coming to the end of a brilliant new trilogy that tells the story of how the Planet of the Apes came to be, the third installment did in no way disappoint. War for the Planet of the Apes delivers an emotionally driven story that is accompanied by stunning cinematography, incredibly technical visual effects and a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack composed by the amazing Michael Giacchino. Directed and co-written by Matt Reeves, the film delivers what everyone has been waiting for: the final battle between Apes and Humans. Having survived a disease that wiped out the majority of humankind in Rise of the Planet of the Apes , the remaining survivors are faced with a choice: to sp

Writer's Block - Part 1

How it all started... Last year my sister wrote a 1000 word short story for the BBC Young Writer's competition. Meanwhile in university the current assignment was to create a short narrative film. At the time I was thinking of creating a half stop-motion animated short, and when I read my sister's story I found great potential. We then collaborated and created a script based on her original piece. In the interview below she talks about her inspirations and how she came up with the idea: Q1: How did you come up with the idea for Writer's Block? A1: Coming up with Writer’s Block was a funny process really. I was trying to come up with a story for a writing contest and nothing I came up with was good enough. I said to my mom I had writer’s block and being the sarcastic lady that she is she said to me "I've never been there, what's it like?" And I thought: ‘What if the Writer’s Block was a place!’ Q2: Were there any other novels, artworks